Hi! I’m Stephanie and I blog at Swoodson Says about sewing and crafts for myself, my toddler son, and our second baby on the way (and rarely, my husband). I love upcycling, using scraps, and having the freedom to make what I can’t find or afford in stores!
I made a pair of heart hand warmers for myself last winter by simply stitching together two wool hearts but I quickly found that 1. wool smells weird when you microwave it 2. they got filthy fast in the middle of winter! So this set has a separate insert for microwaving, and then you can machine wash the heart-shaped shells. These would be a great stocking stuffer or teacher gift, I think.
- A thin wool sweater or scarf, prewashed/dryed
- Printable pattern pieces
- Scissors, thread, sewing machine, the usual suspects
1. Cut all pattern pieces as directed; layer two knit hearts on top of one another and sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening.
2. Use a tiny funnel (can also use a straw or a rolled up paper) and fill with rice. Stitch the opening close, repeat for the second set of hearts.
3. Fold the straight edge of each overlapping piece over 1/4″ and stitch down.
4. Lay the overlapping pieces over one another with the top piece in front, with right sides together, on top of the whole wool heart. Stitch around all edges with a 3/8″ seam allowance.
5. Flip right side out and squish in your insert!
The little envelope opening also provides a super cozy spot to stick your fingers, especially if you’ve had to take your gloves off to text or use your phone. I hope you dig out some old sweaters and sew up a few this winter!
I had fun sharing with you today and would love to connect with you; I spend way too much time online – you can find me on pinterest/facebook/instagram. I am working on releasing some fun PDF patterns for toddler toys, softies, and funky decor; be the first to know by subscribing to my newsletter! A few free toy tutorials on my blog are a DIY Buckle Toy, an easy Astronaut Dress-Up Hood, & a round-up of favorite kids’ books and free softie patterns.
More Handmade Gift Ideas:
Be sure to check out this Pinterest Board with a bunch of ideas here:
Follow Angel ~ Fleece Fun’s board Handmade Saturday 2014 on Pinterest.
Be sure to check back on Fleece Fun = we’re having more wonderful tutorials like this one! You can find all the published Handmade Saturday tutorials here: