Barley Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cups of cooked barley
- 1 tbsp . of dressing
- 2 tbsp . packed finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 Cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 Cup grilled chicken , chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 Cups of baby spinach
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- 1/2 Cup of Barley (pearled)
- 1 1/2 Cup of water or chicken stock
- Salt (omit if using salted stock)
Take a bowl and add the barley, slivered almond, chicken pieces, parsley, freshly cracked black pepper and desired amount of dressing. Season the spinach with salt and pepper and drizzle little dressing on it. Serve the spinach on the side or mix it in the salad.
For the dressing - whisk juice from half a lemon + 1 tsp minced garlic + 1/4 Cup olive oil together. Season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.
To make the barley - soak it for several hour in couple cups of water, rinse and drain. Stir the soaked barley and water/stock in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and cover and let it simmer for 25 to 30 minutes till it reaches the desired level of chewiness. Add more water if required or drain if there's excess water.