Ooooh – Chicken Cordon Bleu – tender chicken dripping with cheese and stuffed with ham. Yum.
Have you ever had a day when you had big plans for a lovely Crock pot meal only to remember that particular fact around 4 p.m.? I recently did. My mouth was all set for Chicken Cordon Bleu. My watch said it wasn’t happening. But as with so many things in life, I just simply couldn’t let a clock tell me what to do.
My solution was to travel back in time and get out my Crock pot at noon…I wish. 🙂 (Hey I write fantasy for my day job, O.K?) Well, what I actually did is to take my slow-cooker recipe and remodel it for baking it in the oven. It was an easy makeover and it turned out so beautifully and was so easy I had to share it here with all of you.
- I wrapped the chicken pieces with thinly sliced deli ham and placed them in a prepared baking pan.
- I stirred together the Alfredo sauce and cream, poured it over the chicken, covered it with foil and put it in the oven
- During the final 15 minutes, I uncovered the chicken and sprinkled Swiss cheese over each piece and turned the oven up a bit.
I served it with a side of rice and a green salad for a simple, but delicious meal that took about 10 minutes of prep and 60 minutes in the oven.
Three big bonuses for this particular version of Chicken Cordon Bleu are:
- No pounding of chicken breasts. (Saves time and mess.)
- There is no breadcrumb coating or frying before baking. (Gluten free depending on what kind of Alfredo sauce.)
- It makes its own gravy for the rice. (Yummy!)
Is there anything I’ll do differently next time? I will probably pour about 2/3 of the sauce into the pan and let the chicken rest on it and I would then drizzle the rest of the sauce over the chicken before covering it. That’s about it. My family loved it. I hope yours will too.
Oh! And be certain to drop by BakingOutsidetheBox to see the Cinn-a-Mummy Bread I made using my ‘Best 1 Hour Bread’ recipe. Enjoy! — Laura Hickman
Lazy Day Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 Large chicken breasts ,(about 2 lbs.), sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 slices of thinly-sliced deli ham
- 15 ounce jar of Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup cream (half n half)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (or 8 thin deli slices)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9" x 18" baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cream and the Alfredo sauce.
- Pour about 2/3 of sauce into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Wrap each chicken piece in a slice of ham and place in pan seam side down.
- Lightly salt and pepper meat in pan.
- Drizzle remaining sauce over chicken pieces and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and turn the oven up to 425 degrees.
- Uncover chicken and place Swiss cheese evenly on each piece.
- Return the pan of chicken to the oven and bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles, but do not allow it to brown.
- Serve with rice or noodles.