I have had many delicious pumpkin cakes in jelly roll pans with white cream cheese frosting. I wanted to mix it up a bit and have chocolate cream cheese frosting with a cake that was more dense. I knew Blondie Mix with its ground up oatmeal and brown sugar would be just the thing to put a twist on one of my fall pumpkin favorites. I chose to go all out and make a triple layer cake this time (and when I say this time, I mean this is the first time I’ve ever done a triple layer cake!). Sadly, first time I made this cake I added 1 cup of buttermilk which ended up being a huge mistake. The cakes seemed to bake fine, but what I failed to realize is that pumpkin, while very thick, is basically a liquid type ingredient. So my cakes were firm, but not cake-like. They were a spongy, not soft and airy cake. I didn’t find this out until after Angel had already taken pictures and we cut into the cake for another round of photos. Once I looked at it and tasted it I had to sadly dump the whole huge triple layer cake in the garbage and start over. Since I was running low on ingredients I made a mini-triple layer cake this time eliminating the buttermilk. The cake turned out perfectly and I know you will love every bite of this deliciously different pumpkin cake.
Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 4 C . Blondie Mix (get the recipe here)
- 1 tsp . cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp . ginger
- Dash of cloves
- 1/2 C . olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1, 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp . vanilla
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz softened cream cheese (I used 1/3 fat cream cheese)
- 1/2 C . softened butter
- 3-4 C . powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 C . cocoa powder
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- Mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased and flour pan(s) and bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack if making layered or bundt cake.
- Frosting: Mix until smooth and creamy. Add milk until desired consistency.