These jumbo blocks are a great toy for baby! You can make these ABC blocks in an afternoon.
To create your own ABC baby blocks, you will need:
– cuddle fleece, you can purchase the cuddle fabric I used here.
– satin or other contrasting fabric, I used some lining fabric I had leftover from a dress
– double sided fusible web (eg, Heat ‘n’ Bond)
– 4″ foam. I bought a piece from a local upholstery store and cut it into 4″ cubes with a serrated bread knife
Step 1 – Cut out pieces, begin to sew
Print out your pattern and letter templates by clicking on the image above. Cut out 6 squares using the pattern piece or measure a square 4.75″x4.75″ (12 cm x 12 cm)
Trace your letter on the fusible web (it will be reversed). Apply the fusible web to the contrast fabric following manufacturers instructions.
Cut out letter and remove paper backing.
Apply the letter to one of the cuddle fleece squares. Use a press cloth so that the iron doesn’t directly touch the cuddle fleece or it will melt. I use an old piece of a pillowcase.
Sew around the edge of the letter with a tight zigzag stitch.
Assembly the remaining 5 blocks to the block you just appliqued as shown, right sides together, using a 3/8″ or 1 cm seam allowance. To keep your corners sharp, start and stop sewing each seam 3/8″ or 1 cm from the edge.
With right sides together, bring the sides, top, and bottom towards the appliqued block and stitch. You will now have a cube with a single side open.
Stuff the 4″ square of foam inside the cube and handstitch the opening shut.
Download the Pattern Below:
– Use different textured fabrics on each side.
– Insert a bell into the foam.
– Use a layer of cellophane under the cuddle fleece for a crinkly toy.
– Insert loops of ribbon in between the seams.
Pattern was drafted by GraciousThreads.ca
Handmade Gifts in a Flash: Your guide to making & giving joy!
Get lovely ideas for fast homemade gifts sent right to your inbox!