My kids and I got to see Big Hero 6 in the theaters. My girls really enjoyed it. Personally I like the idea of smart “geeks” being superheroes. I also like the strong female characters in the movie, Honey Lemon and Go Go Tomango.
After thinking about the characters I came up with something I think Honey Lemon would love – a recipe for exploding cake pops! These cake pops are easy to make with a little twist that gives them an extra kick. By keeping the ingredients simple the special “Magic Ingredient” flavors the cake pop and takes this simple treat to a whole new level.
I made the DVD release of Big Hero 6 a fun little party for our family. My girls were really excited at this idea – a party in the middle of the week – just for them.
I went to Walmart and found this exclusive 2 disc set at an end cap in the DVD section. This set also includes a digital download through Vudu (while supplies last) of the movie – so I can download it to my iPad and the kiddos can watch it on the go.
While I was at Walmart I also grabbed a few items I needed for my “Exploding “ cake pops.
Big Hero 6 Recipe – Honey Lemon’s Exploding Cake Pops
- 1 box of plain yellow cake mix (fully prepared)
- 1 16 oz can of plain vanilla frosting
- 6 packets of Pop Rocks
- Lollipop sticks
- 2 lbs . Almond Bark/white dipping chocolate (in fun colors)
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Allow to cool completely. Tip – let sit overnight slightly uncovered to dry out a little.
- In a large bowl, crumble cake completely. Remove 1/3 of the frosting from the can. Mix in 3 packets of Pop Rocks. Mix in ½ to 2/3 of the frosting can so the cake crumble can be formed into balls. It’s crucial that the cake be completely cool at this time or you run the risk of the Pop Rocks losing all their fizz. Also it’s normal to hear a little bit of fizz while mixing the dough.
- Form dough into 1 ½ inch balls. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Put formed balls into freezer for 1 hour.
- Pour remaining Pop Rocks into shallow bowl. Melt dipping chocolate. Spear chilled balls with a lollipop stick with the end covered in a little dipping chocolate. Then cover cake pop with dipping chocolate. While chocolate is still warm dip tops of the cake pop into the Pop Rocks to decorate. Continue to cover all of the frozen balls.
When you bite into the Cake Pop – you’ll get the fun fizzy explosion sensation.
It turned out pretty awesome looking, if I do say so myself. I confess I just kinda pieced it together. Here’s an unflattering shot of the back so you can see what I did.
I can’t imagine a kid not being excited when greeted with such a display! The two cute little dolls of Honey Lemon and Go Go Tamango I ordered from Walmart.com. The girls have really been enjoying playing with them this week.
We enjoyed watching Big Hero 6 by having a big Pajama Party as a family. Do you have any movie night traditions? Do you do anything to make it extra special? I would love to hear about it!