I went bold with stripes in the nursery. It adds a fun accent of color without being overwhelming . It’s extremely masculine and adds interest. However if you are painting bold blue, brown and red stripes on the wall you better know what you’re doing! Fortunately I really researched how to paint stripes before I taped a single wall. Here are the tutorials that I found the most useful:
Classy Clutter has a few posts on painting wall stripes. Her tutorial mentions two different methods on getting perfect stripes and her thoughts on comparing the two. You can see that tutorial here – https://www.classyclutter.net/2012/02/stripe-wars.html
Emily A. Clark gives a great tip she got from her painter called dry brushing. You can read about it here – https://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/2010/07/lessons-in-painting-striped-walls.html
Unskinny Boppy also has some great pointers that I used – https://unskinnyboppy.com/2012/02/lazy-girls-timesaving-tips-for-painting/
Here’s the process I ended using to get my stripes.
Using a laser level that could mount to the wall I taped off the walls. Note: to work around corners and pop-outs you really want to use a laser level because it makes it so much easier. However on some level models ( like the one I was using) you can tilt the laser so be sure to check that the light is level.
After taping the walls ( and this took the most time) I pushed down on the tape with a paint stick ( and truth is I wish I took a little more time with this step and used the credit card).
Then to be extra safe I dry brushed the edges in the color the stripe was going to be.
Then I grabbed my husband and we painted the stripes alternating between rolling and painting to get the nice solid color. For the red thin strip we found that a craft brush worked best. We ended up doing three coats total. While the paint was still wet we took a deep breath and pulled the tape off the wall.
It worked! We were very happy with the results. There were only a couple of spots that needed some touch up. The corners bled under the tape – fixing it was simple. A wedge craft paintbrush worked perfectly for touch ups.