Today I have a fairly quick project that is perfect for Fall. A leaf shaped coaster!
The leaf template. It can be downloaded here (affiliate link) (free download on Craftsy, if you don’t have an account you open one for free) . (Or go leaf hunting and find another leaf you like and trace around it!)
1. Cut out the leaf shape, pin to your fabric and cut out.
2. Pin your leaf-shaped fabric right sides up on top of two layers of felt. Cut down the felt to make it easier to handle while sewing, but don’t cut the leaf shape out of the felt yet. Felt can shift a lot while sewing it, so it’s easier to wait until it’s sewn together.
3. Quilt the three layers together in whatever design you choose. You can follow the pattern in your fabric or simply do straight lines across.
4. Using a tight zig-zag stitch, stitch all along the edge of your leaf shape. (If you want you can edgestitch along the fabric leaf shape first.)
5. Now you can cut it out! Using a sharp pair of scissors cut out your leaf being careful not to cut any of the stitching on the edge. (If you prefer you can cut out the leaf shape before doing the zig-zag/applique stitching). Trim any threads and voilà! A leaf shaped coaster!
Note: Felt will shrink if you wash it so I recommend spot cleaning only.
Play around with your printer settings and enlarge or reduce the size of your leaf and turn it into placemats, a smaller coaster, a leaf bunting banner maybe? Have fun with it! And hey, if you’re Canadian make yourself a Canadian maple leaf coaster next Canada Day!