Easy Recipe: This Ultimate Gourmet Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe is so rich and delicious your guests won’t believe it’s homemade.
With a few simple ingredients you can make this hot cocoa mix and enjoy it all winter long.
Last week I gave you a chocolate mix recipe, this week I’m giving what is essentially drinking a melted candy bar – yup it’s that good! This is the adult version of hot chocolate, rich , creamy and one cup will totally satisfy. This mix reminds me of the Hot Chocolate that my husband I got from a boutique chocolate shop on our first date.
One of the most memorable things about that cup of cocoa, was how rich and thick it was. It was like drinking a warm dark chocolate melted candy bar, filling, satisfying and one small cup is all you needed.
This recipe took a LOT of research (and few pounds to the waistline) to perfect. I love that this mix has a dark chocolate flavor to it. Because of that you might want to save this for those who will appreciate it.
It also has a few other surprising notes to it to smooth out the flavor and give it more body. Even though the mix tastes gourmet it’s surprisingly easy to make with ingredients that are in your local grocery store (no special ordering of items!).
I also love that this Hot Cocoa recipe has some thickness to it on it’s made. No watered down cheapo gas station chocolate here – I want the good stuff!
To really make this recipe sing – I strongly suggest that you use milk and not water to make it.
A small dollop of whipped cream on top cuts the dark flavor and lifts it – plus it cools the hot chocolate down so you can drink it sooner!
Ultimate Gourmet Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe (Homemade):
It’s dead simple to make. Just gather the ingredients.
Put the chocolate chips in blender or food processor
Blitz the chocolate chips so they’re a fine consistency.
Combine all the ingredients together.
You can either use a container
or a zip lock bag works well too.
To make up a cup it’s 1/3 cup of mix to 1 cup of milk.
Simply heat the heat the mixture and the milk, making sure the chocolate bits are melted and do not boil the milk. Allow to cool a little and serve.
Add whipped cream and some chocolate chunks on top if desired. I’ve made this in larger batches on Christmas Eve for my family – it was a hit!
Ultimate Gourmet Hot Chocolate Mix (Homemade)
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup french vanilla non dairy creamer
- 1 cup of 60% cacao chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small 3.5 oz package of cook and serve butterscotch pudding (NOT instant)
- 1 large 5.0 package of cook and serve chocolate (NOT instant)
- In a blender or food processor grind chocolate chips until fine.
- Mix all ingredients in a zip lock bag or a container with a lid. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- To make Hot Chocolate, combine 1/3 cup of mix and 1 cup milk (and add a little heavy cream if you want to go really over the top). Stir until completely dissolved. In microwave or on stove top heat mixture until just before it starts to boil, making sure chocolate chunks are melted. Hot cocoa will thicken once heated. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes:
- Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix (Best Ever!)
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Candy Corn Cocoa Recipe
- Hot Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- All of my Hot Chocolate Recipes
Also seen as: