These Hot Chocolate Bombs are a a fun addition to any holiday gathering. They also make tasty homemade gifts – perfect for curling up under a warm blanket and enjoying a holiday film while sipping a steaming rich cup of cocoa!
A few things you need to be aware of before making the hot cocoa bombs:
You will need to make the shell that the bombs come in. This means tempering chocolate and using a mold like this one.
Hot Chocolate Bombs will melt (they’re designed to!). Avoid putting them near a heat source or they will melt before they get used.
I highly recommend using chocolate candy coating (also called chocolate bark or almond bark) in this recipe because it melts and rehardens easily and shiny. If you don’t have chocolate candy coating, you can use tempered chocolate– but make sure to use tempered, not just melted.
Wearing gloves while making the hot chocolate bombs will help prevent fingerprints on the outside.
Powdered milk is optional but it gives the hot chocolate an extra creaminess– and it’s available in most grocery stores.
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 2" Dome Molds
- 1/2 cup powdered or super fine sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/4 cup Chopped Chocolate Dark or Milk Can also use Mini Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp powdered milk (optional but nice)
- 16 oz Chocolate Candy Coating
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Sprinkles for garnish (optional)
- Make the Hot Chocolate Powder Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or jar (a mason jar works well for this). Store at room temperature until ready to use.
- Make the Hot Chocolate Bombs exterior. Melt the chocolate candy coating according to the package directions. Fill each of the wells with 1-2 tablespoons of melted chocolate. Spread the chocolate around using a spoon or small spatula. Don’t forget to spread the chocolate all the way to the top-- you want to have a thick edge so your chocolate bomb doesn’t break. Place the chocolate in the fridge for 5minutes, or until it has hardened completely. Gently remove the chocolate wells from the mold.
- Fill half of the chocolate wells with hot chocolate powder and mini marshmallows.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat until it is barely warm. Place the rim of an unfilled chocolate onto the pan for 1-2 seconds, or until the edges start to melt. Carefully remove the chocolate from the pan and place it on top of a filled chocolate well. Press gently to seal the two together. Decorate with melted chocolate and sprinkles, if desired.
- To serve, add a hot chocolate bomb to a large mug. Pour over hot milk and stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes:
- Ultimate Gourmet Hot Mix
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix (Best Ever!)
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Candy Corn Cocoa Recipe
- Hot Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- All of my Hot Chocolate Recipes
Handmade Gifts in a Flash: Your guide to making & giving joy!
Get lovely ideas for fast homemade gifts sent right to your inbox!
Leave a Reply