Learn how to make a rolled hem or baby hem. A baby hem or a rolled hem is a great way to finish off fabric. It stops fabric from fraying. It gives a nice clean finished and tailored look to projects.
It can be a process to do or it can be simple with the right tool.
First let’s start off with the easy way. Rolled hem foot makes it easy. It’s an extra foot that you can buy for your sewing machine. To start the hem roll the edge and then stick it under the needle. Put the foot down, then insert the needle into the fabric to hold it. Then lift the foot and then the fabric through the curved loop of the foot. Begin to sew a straight stitch helping to feed the fabric into the curved foot. Viola! A nice little hem in no time.
Now what if you don’t have that special tool. You can still make a rolled hem. It uses a LOT of thread but the process is simple.
How to make a rolled hem or a baby hem (sewing tutorial)
Sew a straight stitch about .25 away from the edge of the fabric. Then, using the first stitch as a guide sew another line a quart of and inch away from that one. You now should have tow lines of a straight stitch.
Fold over and press the edge of the fabric, using the first straight stitch line as a guide.
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to get started sewing with a sewing machine
- How to Unpick a Seam
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What are the parts to a Sewing Machine?
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- What is a Basting Stitch?
- How to read a Sewing Pattern
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- Traditional Sewing Pattern VS Digital
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
- You can see all the How to Sew Lessons Here
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- What is the Anatomy of Fabric?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece