Does fabric really have an anatomy? It’s just a flat piece of cloth right? There are actual part to fabric – and it’s important to understand what they are to help you sew pieces properly. this is on e of the basics that get’s glossed over too much and is key in being a successful sewist.
Here in the video you’ll learn (and see) the following terms:
Selvage – the unusable binding at the edge of the cloth with printer’s marks and other information
Right Sides together or wrong side together – This refers to the printed (right) and the not printed (wrong) sides of the fabric. When instructions say right sides together – it means that the printed side of the material is touching.
Lengthwise and crosswise grain – this is referring to the weave of the fabric. How pieces of a pattern are cut on the grain can affect how they fall on the body.
On the fold – is a term often used to refer to the crease half way across the material (how it is on the bolt) When you cut out patterns “on the fold” it’s to make a large complete piece.
Bias – 45 Degree angle from the selvage – the material has the greatest stretch at this angle (it’s what bias tape is made from).
It’s important to know these terms because patterns and tutorials use them frequently. Designers know the properties of fabric and use them in their creations to manipulate the fabric how they want.
You can see exactly what I’m talking about in the video below.
Do you have a favorite place to buy fabric? Let me know where in the comments!
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to get started sewing with a sewing machine
- How to Unpick a Seam
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What are the parts to a Sewing Machine?
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- What is a Basting Stitch?
- How to read a Sewing Pattern
- How to Make a Rolled Hem or a Baby Hem
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- Traditional Sewing Pattern VS Digital
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
- You can see all the How to Sew Lessons Here
src=”https://www.fleecefun.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/anatomy-final-shot.jpg” alt=”I love how she explains these must know basics for fabric and sewing. These are great tips any beginning sewist should know!” width=”700″ height=”1000″>