Today I’m continuing the sewing basics for beginners series by walking you through how to get started with you sewing machine. Learning how to sew with a sewing machine especially if you’re a beginner can seem a little daunting. The truth is that the basic mechanics of every sewing machine (no matter the make, model or year) are the same. Once you’re familiar with a few basics you’ll be able to sit down to any machine and sew!
Here are the basics that the video below covers, and what every good sewist should know.
How to Sew with a Sewing Machine for Beginners
1. How to thread it
For the sewing machine and for the stitch to operate properly it is imperative that you understand how to thread it. If you miss a step you’re stitch won’t work.
2. How to adjust tension
Different fabrics and stitches require a different tension setting. It’s important to know how to adjust it as needed and what the standard setting on your sewing machine is.
3. How to change a needle
4. How to clean your sewing machine
It’s important to take care of you sewing machine. Fabrics fray and can shed. It’s important to clean out your machine.
5. You should get it serviced annually.
You take care of you machine and it will take care of you. It’s important that you take time to get your machine serviced so it can run for years.
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to Unpick a Seam
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What are the parts to a Sewing Machine?
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- What is a Basting Stitch?
- How to Make a Rolled Hem or a Baby Hem
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- What is the Anatomy of Fabric?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece