What is a basting stitch?
This content contains affiliate links or sponsored elements, read our Disclosure Policy.
When you’ve been sewing a while – things become second nature. You understand the basics terms, tools and tricks of the trade. It’s easy to forget that for someone who’s just starting they need to have things shown to them and terms defined.
I’ve gotten a few emails from people asking me “What is a basting stitch?” “Where is the basting setting on my machine?” and “Why do I need to use a basting stitch”.
Now only am I going to answer these questions for you, but I’m showing you!
And now you know! Is there a sewing term or trick that you want me to show you? Let me know in the comments below!
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to get started sewing with a sewing machine
- How to Unpick a Seam
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What are the parts to a Sewing Machine?
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- How to read a Sewing Pattern
- How to Make a Rolled Hem or a Baby Hem
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- Traditional Sewing Pattern VS Digital
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
- You can see all the How to Sew Lessons Here
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- What is the Anatomy of Fabric?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece
Handmade Gifts in a Flash: Your guide to making & giving joy!
Get lovely ideas for fast homemade gifts sent right to your inbox!
This short video about basting stitch is very helpful. I want to thank you for sharing all your patterns, I have used the fingerless gloves, the hobo bag, satin flower and heart hair clips and my favorite one, the mini top hat. I really enjoy your web page and find it very informative and useful. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Laura! So happy you’re enjoying the site.