Sewing Basics: What are the parts to a Sewing machine?
This content contains affiliate links or sponsored elements, read our Disclosure Policy.
I’ve had several people ask me over the years to put together a “sewing basics” course for them to learn how to sew. I’m happy to oblige with a little help from my friends at AllFreeSewing.com! I’ll be sharing some basics courses to help you get started sewing in not time. Today I’m giving you the run down on the Parts to a sewing machine. Things might look a little different on your machine – but all machines have these key elements.
Parts to a Sewing Machine:
- Spool Pin – Where the thread starts, can be on it’s side or sit straight up.
- Tension Plates – These plates “squeeze” the thread to make the tension tighter and looser as needed.
- Take up Lever – this pulls the thread to keep it moving to the needle
- Needle – What pierces the fabric, also you will need to use the correct type depending on your project/material.
- Presser Foot – What runs over the cloth, again there are several types of feet for different projects.
- Feed dogs – what pushes the fabric under the foot.
- throat plate – Metal plate underneath the foot with measurement marking s on it.
- Bobbin – small spool of thread that delivers the bottom thread for the stitch.
- Reverse button – used to revers the flow of fabric and stitch, typically used to finish a seam.
- Hand Wheel – Wheel used to manually crank the needle or adjust it.
- Stitch Selection – how to change the type of stitch your machine makes.
- Pedal, bar, button – what makes the machine go
- Bobbin winding – how you get thread on your bobbin
Once you know the basic “anatomy” of your machine you’re ready to start sewing. Don’t worry I have a few more tutorials like this one up my sleeve to help you on your sewing journey. 🙂
Watch the video below for a quick run down of a sewing machine:
Don’t worry I have a few more tutorials like this one up my sleeve to help you on your sewing journey. 🙂
You can learn more about my visit to the AllFreeSewing Studios here.
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to get started sewing with a sewing machine
- How to Unpick a Seam
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- What is a Basting Stitch?
- How to read a Sewing Pattern
- How to Make a Rolled Hem or a Baby Hem
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- Traditional Sewing Pattern VS Digital
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
- You can see all the How to Sew Lessons Here
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- What is the Anatomy of Fabric?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece
Handmade Gifts in a Flash: Your guide to making & giving joy!
Get lovely ideas for fast homemade gifts sent right to your inbox!