It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been sewing. You will have to unpick a stitch. Unpicking can either save your project or destroy it. So it’s important to properly unpick the seam to save the fabric. Learn how to unpick a seam the right way. Proper unpicking will save you time and money in the long run so patience is key.
How to Unpick a Seam:
1. Make sure your Seam Ripper is Sharp
One mistake that sewists make when unpicking is that they don’t regularly replace their seam ripper. A sharp seam ripper is essential to have success unpicking a seam.
2. Take your time
This is important – take your time. I know that you’re annoyed that you messed up, but taking your time is crucial to preserving your project. Think of it as a break. Turn on some good music. Stay calm, frustration is useless. Focus on correcting the problem. If you need to just walk away for a moment before you need to unpick.
3. Start where the seam isn’t locked and begin to unpick
Start unpicking where the seam isn’t locked. If both ends of the seam are locked start at one end by unpicking the lock stitch and work your way to the other end.
To begin unpicking start by unpicking a few stitches on one side of the seam. Just every few stitches take the seam ripper and lift up under one of the loops and break it with the seam ripper. Take care not to puncture the cloth, this is especially important with finer cloth like satin, taffetta or silk.
5. Once properly unpicked, begin to gently pull the seam apart
5. If you meet resistance use the Seam Ripper some more
For more details you can see the video below.
Be sure to check out all of my “Sewing for Beginners” series on this page. I have tips from machine sewing to basics on cloth. Everything you need to get started.
More How to Sew Lessons:
- How to get started sewing with a sewing machine
- How to Make a Button Hole
- What are the parts to a Sewing Machine?
- What is a Straight Stitch and How to Sew it
- What is a Basting Stitch?
- How to read a Sewing Pattern
- How to Make a Rolled Hem or a Baby Hem
- What to Look for a in a Good Sewing Machine
- What are the must have sewing tools?
- Traditional Sewing Pattern VS Digital
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- 5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Crafts and Fabric
- You can see all the How to Sew Lessons Here
Working With Different Fabrics:
- Coral Fleece Vs. Polar Fleece what is the difference?
- What is the Anatomy of Fabric?
- 7 Things you need to know about sewing with Minky Fabric
- How to Sew with Faux Fur
- Which Fleece is Which? Your Quick Start Guide to Fleece