You will need the following:
A printed out version of the .pdf pattern
2/3 yard fleece for large, 1/2 for medium and 1/3 for small
For ruffle fabric pillow you’ll need 2/3 yards for large, 1/2 for medium, and 1/3 for a small in addition to the fleece
Rotary cutter , ruler and mat
thread and needle
Video tutorial here, written directions below.
Heart Pillow tutorial and free pattern
Step 1 – Assemble the pattern and cut out pieces
You will need to assemble the pattern. For intstuctions on how to assemble the pattern click here.
Once you have properly assembled the pattern you will need to decide what size pillow you are making, cut the pattern to the right size and place it on the fold and cut heart shape out for a total of two full sized hearts.
You will then need to cut the side stripes of the pillow using your rotary cutter and mat. For a large it will be 3.5 wide by 71 inches (you will need to sew a couple of strips together) for a medium 3.5 by 58 inches and for the small 3.5 inches by 43 inches.
Step 1.5 – Ruffle fabric prep.
Pin the wrong side of the ruffle fabric to the right side of the fleece. Sew on using a .25 seam allowance. Take care to make sure the ruffle lay flat and in the same direction (this will help it look nice later).
Step 2 – Begin to sew on side
With right sides together, Pin strip alll the way around the heart. Sew the ends of the strip together ( they should over lap at least an inch).
Then sew around the heart using a .5 inch seam allowance, attaching the strip.
Step 3 – Attach the back
Step 4 – Stuff the pillow
Step 5 – Stitch closed
Using a needle and thread blind stitch the gap closed
Download the free pattern here.
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Valentines Day Wreath (Sweater look & free cut file)
- Rustic Heart Branch Decor (free cut file)
- Heart Tree (perfect for Tabletop or Mantle & free cut file)
- Valentines Day “Love” Sign Printable
- Valentines Day Candy Wraps and matching tray Printable
- “True Love” Printable Banner
- Heart Hair Clip DIY
- Heart Pillow (Free Pattern)
- Heart Hand warmers (upcycle project)
- How to Make a Giant Love Sign
- You Can See All of my Valentines Ideas Here.
- Chenille Heart Pillow Free Pattern