Hi! I’m Stephanie and I blog at Swoodson Says about sewing and crafts for myself, my toddler son, and our second baby on the way (and rarely, my husband). I love upcycling, using scraps, and having the freedom to make what I can’t find or afford in stores!
I made a pair of heart hand warmers for myself last winter by simply stitching together two wool hearts but I quickly found that 1. wool smells weird when you microwave it 2. they got filthy fast in the middle of winter! So this set has a separate insert for microwaving, and then you can machine wash the heart-shaped shells. These would be a great stocking stuffer or teacher gift, I think.
- A thin wool sweater or scarf, prewashed/dryed
- Printable pattern pieces
- Scissors, thread, sewing machine, the usual suspects
1. Cut all pattern pieces as directed; layer two knit hearts on top of one another and sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening.
2. Use a tiny funnel (can also use a straw or a rolled up paper) and fill with rice. Stitch the opening close, repeat for the second set of hearts.
3. Fold the straight edge of each overlapping piece over 1/4″ and stitch down.
4. Lay the overlapping pieces over one another with the top piece in front, with right sides together, on top of the whole wool heart. Stitch around all edges with a 3/8″ seam allowance.
5. Flip right side out and squish in your insert!
The little envelope opening also provides a super cozy spot to stick your fingers, especially if you’ve had to take your gloves off to text or use your phone. I hope you dig out some old sweaters and sew up a few this winter!
I had fun sharing with you today and would love to connect with you; I spend way too much time online – you can find me on pinterest/facebook/instagram. I am working on releasing some fun PDF patterns for toddler toys, softies, and funky decor; be the first to know by subscribing to my newsletter! A few free toy tutorials on my blog are a DIY Buckle Toy, an easy Astronaut Dress-Up Hood, & a round-up of favorite kids’ books and free softie patterns.
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Valentines Day Wreath (Sweater look & free cut file)
- Rustic Heart Branch Decor (free cut file)
- Heart Tree (perfect for Tabletop or Mantle & free cut file)
- Valentines Day “Love” Sign Printable
- Valentines Day Candy Wraps and matching tray Printable
- “True Love” Printable Banner
- Heart Hair Clip DIY
- Heart Pillow (Free Pattern)
- How to Make a Giant Love Sign
- You Can See All of my Valentines Ideas Here.
- Chenille Heart Pillow Free Pattern
- DIY Valentine Sharpie Mug Gift Tutorial (Free Template)