This Sharpie Mug Tutorial anyone can do – no amazing artistic ability required! Ah the Sharpie mug. Looks like such a fun project, and then I remember I’m not very good at drawing. Never fear! Here’s my nearly fool proof method for excellent ( but hand drawn looking) mugs:
For this project you will need:
Oil based Sharpies – I like the extra fine tip the best. The Sharpies must be oil based – not the regular ones you get in the office supply aisle. I ordered mine off of Amazon here.
Fleece Fun’s free printable (available at the end of the post)
2 pencils 1 sharp and one dull
Get the video tutorial here, written instructions below:
Sharpie Mug Tutorial
Step 1 – Prep the blank mug
Wash and dry the mug to prep it for drawing.
Print up the free tutorial.
Cut it out do it fits nicely on the mug.
Step 2 – Use the Sharpie Template to make the “Hand Drawn Look”
Using a Pencil, rub the back of the sharpie mug template you want to use until it’s completely covered.
Tape the paper to the mug, centering it where you want it to appear.
Using medium pressure and a sharp pencil trace around the letters and elements.
Remove paper. You now should have an outline of the template on the mug!
Trace with markers and fill in. Decorate and add your own flair/ colors to the design. Wipe off the pencil
Step 3 – Set the Sharpie Marking on the Mug
“Cook” the mugs 425 for 45 min and allow to cool in oven. I like to leave mine in it overnight.
Fill with yummy candy.
Or hot homemade hot chocolate mix – like this yummy gourmet recipe.
Download the free template below.
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Valentines Day Wreath (Sweater look & free cut file)
- Rustic Heart Branch Decor (free cut file)
- Heart Tree (perfect for Tabletop or Mantle & free cut file)
- Valentines Day “Love” Sign Printable
- Valentines Day Candy Wraps and matching tray Printable
- “True Love” Printable Banner
- Heart Hair Clip DIY
- Heart Pillow (Free Pattern)
- Heart Hand warmers (upcycle project)
- How to Make a Giant Love Sign
- You Can See All of my Valentines Ideas Here.
- Chenille Heart Pillow Free Pattern
Also Seen as:
Want more Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas? You’ll love these “Love Potion” Bath bottles by Sugar and Cloth!