Free Sewing Pattern: This free baby burp cloth pattern is shaped to easily fit the shoulder while giving maximum coverage. The soft material is nice for baby and had a wonderful boutique feel. Plus there is a step by step video to make it easy.
This free baby burp cloth pattern is long, different and have a great shape that stays on the shoulder. I love the feeling of cuddle terry but you can also upcycle an old towel using this burp cloth tutorial. This nice long burp cloth is perfect for cleaning up baby’s messes and keep clothing clean. The video tutorial is also great for teaching you how to do machine binding! The minky binding on this burp cloth is soft and a great way to nicely finish the edge of the terry cloth.
The Burp Cloth Pattern ( available at the end of the page)
Free baby burp cloth pattern video tutorial here – full picture tutorial below:
Baby Burp Cloth Pattern Tutorial
1 – Cut out the free pattern
Assemble the free baby burp cloth pattern. You can find assembly directions on this page.
Place the burp cloth pattern on the fold and cut 1.
Cut 2 inch strips to equal 64″ you most likely will need to sew strips together.
2 – Make Binding
For more detailed information on how to bind please see the video above. Sew the strips together as needed. Join strips by laying two strips together (right sides together). Check to make sure that the nap of the fleece is the same direction on the binding Sew together at a 45 degree angle.
3 – Add the binding to the edge of the burp cloth
Starting a couple of inches from the end, using a straight stitch with a .5 inch seam allowance sew on. Right sides of fabric together.
Download the baby burp cloth pattern here, tutorial below.
Sewing for Baby? Then you might also like this whale softie for your nursery!
Additional Free Baby Patterns:
- Baby Long Sleeved T-shirt
- Baby Sundress Pattern
- Monster Mash Up Softie Toy
- Busy Baby Tag Blanket
- Fleece Vest
- Dead Simple Burp Cloth (under 7 minutes!)
Free Baby Bib Patterns:
Burp Cloth Pattern (Free) and Tutorial
- Sewing Machine
- Walking Foot (optional but nice to have)
- Sewing Essentials (Pins, seam ripper, etc.)
- Jersey Ball Point Needle
- Rotary Cutter, Ruler and Mat
- 1/2 yards Terry Cloth
- 1/2 yards Minky Fabric
- 1 spool Thread
- Download the Free pdf pattern of the baby burp cloth
- Place the pattern of the burp cloth on the fold and cut out. (It's easy to make several at once)
- Now it's time to cut out the minky for the binding. Cut strips that are 2" wide by 64". You will need to sew strips together to make it the correct length.
- Add the minky binding to the terry cloth section of the contoured burp cloth. Using a 1/2 seam allowance sew on one side.
- Then fold over binding and top stitch down to the other side.
- See detailed instructions and video above for clarification
This pattern is perfect for terry cloth. Just follow the pattern. The most important part of working with terry cloth is finishing the edge properly so it doesn’t fray or unravel.
Absorbent, washable fabrics are best. Terry cloth is wonderful for catching messes and wiping up spills. Flannel is another good choice as it absorbs moisture easily.
The best burp cloths absorb messes, can be washed many times over ans provide adequate coverage on the shoulder to keep the care giver’s clothes tidy. All things that this free sewing pattern provides.
As a mother of four I found that having 7 to 10 burp cloths sufficient. I keep two in the diaper bag and have and others to rotate through. With this amount I find I have enough to keep things tidy without too much laundry.