Fruitcake is a deep dark secret delight for many during the holidays. My parents love it with a little slice of cheese on it. My husband has recently discovered a love of fruitcake (and hence has decided that he was old). Fruitcake is a long standing holiday tradition and this cookie twist is easy to put together and great for cookie exchanges.
Fruitcake Cookies Recipe
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ Cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick or ½ Cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- ¼ Cup glazed cherries, chopped
- ¼ Cup chopped dried fruits - apricot, cranberries, figs
- 3 tbsp chopped nuts (use pecans/walnuts/almonds)
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Orange zest - 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp of orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop the nuts and fried fruits. Add all the dry ingredients to the food processor few pulses. Add the butter and give the food processor several pulses till it turns into a crumbly mixture. Add nuts, dried fruits and glace cherries and tablespoon of orange juice and give one final pulse. Transfer to a floured surface and knead and shape into a log, cling wrap and chill for an hour. Cut it onto ¼ inch discs and arrange on the cookie sheets. Bake for 14-16 minutes till the cookies are baked through and turns golden brown on the edges.
- Let the cookies cool down completely.
- Store leftovers in airtight container for 4-5days.