Hello Fleece Fun readers, I’m Ren Murphy. You can usually find me at The Inspired Wren where I share inspired sewing, crochet, and craft projects. Today, I’m here to show you a Christmas tall tree pillow tutorial perfect for the Holiday Season.
This soft, squishy pillow with knit fabrics and reverse appliqué has a casual holiday look and makes a great gift. Even better, you can make this simple pillow with a basic sewing machine, some scraps of fabric, and those extra white buttons you already have on hand. The only thing I purchased for this project was a star-shaped button for the top of the tree, but even that is optional. Read on for step by step directions including full cutting dimension and a Tall Tree template so there’s no guesswork in recreating this huggable pillow.
- Fiber Fill
- White Buttons, approximately 12–15 of various sizes
- Matching and Contrasting Threads
- Ball Point Needle (for working on knits)
- Marking Tool, water soluble marker or chalk
- Optional: Embroidery Floss (for sewing buttons in place)
- Optional: Star Button
*See Cutting for the amount of materials needed. I was able to use scraps from previous projects. My favorite source for small amounts of fabric is the remnant bin at my local fabric store.
Christmas tall tree pillow tutorial
The dimensions listed here will create a final Pillow approximately 8″ wide x 14.5″ tall.
Front/Back Panel Fabric: 10.5″ x 16.5″ cut 2
Green Tree Fabric: 6.25″ x 8.5″ cut 1
1. Trace the Tree Outline [download] onto the Front Panel fabric; align the asterisk on the vertical center line of the pillow and up 4 ½ – 5 ½″ from the bottom raw edge of the Front Panel (this example uses 4 ½″). You can also free-hand draw your own tree outline in place.
|Step 1: Trace the Tall Tree Template in place.|
|Step 4: Stitch with contrasting thread — for extra oomph use two strands of thread through one needle.|
Assemble the Christmas tall tree pillow tutorial
|Step 8: Sew the pillow seams leaving an opening for turning and stuffing — two pins mark the stopping point.|
9. OPTIONAL, Box the corners: Pinch one corner so that the stitched seam is centered on the triangle created. Stitch across the triangle, perpendicular to the seam allowance and 5/8″ down from the corner point. Do not trim (it’s small enough that there’s no need). Repeat on the remaining three corners.
|Step 9: Box the corners 5/8″ down from the corner point.|
I first created this appliqué on a knit dress for my daughter, but she has sadly since outgrown it. I loved the look of the reverse appliqué and the buttons as ornaments so much that I decided to recreate it on a pillow so I could pull it out every year. I’m sure it would also look great on a sweatshirt and with various color buttons instead of all white. Ooh! And I bet a snowy white tree on a pale blue background with royal blue buttons would be beautiful. There is never enough time in the day to sew all the projects we see in our heads, is there? You’ve completed the Christmas tall tree pillow tutorial.
More Handmade Gift Ideas:
Be sure to check out this Pinterest Board with a bunch of ideas here:
Follow Angel ~ Fleece Fun’s board Handmade Saturday 2014 on Pinterest.
Be sure to check back on Fleece Fun = we’re having more wonderful tutorials like this one! You can find all the published Handmade Saturday tutorials here: